QR Registration No.
1/9/2017 – 31/8/2020
MODE OF STUDY
Attachment I & II (80 hours x 2)
Teaching Practice I & II (8 weeks, equal to 360 hours)
Practicum Workshop (42 hours)
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
English supplemented with Chinese, with the exception of the Chinese Language and Practicum courses which are conducted in Chinese.
Higher Diploma in Early Childhood Education (HDECE)
The HDECE Programme is designed to educate and train students who will pursue a professional career to serve in the early childhood education sector with professional competence and Christian love. It equips graduates with the qualifications for working as kindergarten teachers, child care workers, child care supervisors, and special child care workers.
The objectives of the HDECE Programme are as follows:
- Students are equipped with the most updated theories, knowledge and skills to be competent professionals in the ECE settings.
- They are inspired to develop academically and spiritually, discover complementation between knowledge and faith, think critically with clarity, act professionally with integrity, and work in teams effectively with humility.
- They are nurtured to be servant leaders to exemplify the “CHRIST” values in various early childhood education services and the NGO sector.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
G1: Demonstrate a foundation of general and specialised knowledge and skills in early childhood education, including language skills, appropriate for progressing to further study in relevant degree programmes;
G2: Develop Christian character and commit with the spirit of servant leaders to the well-being of others and the betterment of the organisations they serve;
G3: Gain a deeper understanding of his/her strengths, weaknesses, interests and aspirations and a sense of confidence, responsibility to others and commitment to life-long learning, and his/her life and career pursuit;
G4: Develop an understanding of contemporary issues in both local and international contexts and discuss the possible connections amongst them and the implications on his/her living;
G5: Develop basic ICT skills to access, collect, handle and present information in a range of multi-media formats.
Upon completion of the Specialised Areas in ECE, students should be able to:
S1: Demonstrate an understanding of the global and local issues in ECE and the context of the Hong Kong SAR education system, and be able to examine the factors affecting the development of children, their families, teachers and the education settings;
S2: Evaluate the characteristics and development of young children (including those with special needs) and their families, understand their individual and group needs, and be able to empower families to support their children’s development and learning;
S3: Examine, abide by and appreciate the ethical guidelines and professional standards related to early childhood practice, and actively seek out opportunities to grow professionally as reflective practitioners;
S4: Identify the essence of quality ECE by examining various curriculum approaches, methods of inquiry, formal and informal assessment strategies, and the learning areas of young children;
S5: Explain how young children (including those with special needs) learn and create learning experiences so as to help them develop their moral and spiritual character, creativity, critical thinking, aesthetic appreciation, problem-solving ability and social skills;
S6: Plan curriculum based on subject knowledge, curriculum goals and development needs of young children, and apply verbal, non-verbal, and media communication techniques to foster active learning, inquiry, cooperation, and supportive interactions in the classroom.
The Year 1 entry requirements of the HDECE Programme are as follows:
- Hong Kong secondary school graduates are required to score Level 2 in Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics, Liberal Studies and 1 other subject at Level 2 in the HKDSE (i.e. 22222); OR
- Secondary school graduates from other education systems with results comparable to the above (for non-native speakers of Chinese, academic results in Chinese may not be required); OR
- Students having successfully completed a foundation diploma or Diploma Yi Jin; OR
- Mature applicants who are aged 21 or above on the 1st of September in the year when admission is sought may apply for exemption from the admission requirements provided that they have sufficient work experience in their chosen field of study, or they have demonstrated the ability to pursue their chosen field of study; AND
- Pass an admission interview.
Practicum is essential for students to acquire the skills of teaching and working with young children.
Students will be able to gain first hand experience during practicum at Gratia’s network of kindergartens and child care centres across Hong Kong.
Graduates will be recognised by:
- the Education Bureau as having the Certificate in Early Childhood Education qualification and eligible for registration as qualified kindergarten teachers;
- the Social Welfare Department as qualified Child Care Workers and Child Care Supervisors; and
- the Social Welfare Department as qualified Special Child Care Workers.
The HDECE programme is designed specifically to obtain the professional recognitions as stated above. Graduates will be prepared to enter the local ECE sector as kindergarten teachers, child care workers/supervisors, and special child care workers.
Further Study Opportunities
The Programme will equip students with the knowledge, skills and academic qualifications for further study in Hong Kong and beyond. Students can apply to top-up degree programmes in early childhood education or other degree programmes such as education, special education, child and family studies, health studies, psychology, etc.
- English I: Reading and Writing Skills
- Intermediate Chinese (進階中文)
- One Elective
Specialised ECE Courses
- Foundation of Early Childhood Education The Professional Teacher
- Cultural Perspectives in Early Childhood Education
- Child Development
- Creative Arts for Young Children
- Language and Literacy for Young Children
- Scientific and Mathematical Exploration for Young Children
- Introduction to Children with Diverse Needs
- Attachment I
- Teaching Practice I
- Practicum Workshop
- English II: Integrated English
- English III: English Communication Skills
- Practical Chinese Writing (實用中文寫作)
- One Elective
Specialised ECE Courses
- Parental and Community Involvement in Early Childhood Education
- Leadership and Management in Early Childhood Settings
- Planning and Implementing Early Childhood Curriculum
- Care and Health of Children
- Working with Children with Diverse Needs (0-3 Years)
- Working with Children with Diverse Needs (3-8 Years)
- Assessment and Collaboration for Children with Diverse Needs
- Attachment II
- Teaching Practice II
- Practicum Workshop
General Education electives include:
- Critical Thinking
- Holistic Health
- Creative Arts in Daily Life
- The Pursuit of Happiness
- Life Stories of Servant Leaders
- The Future We Want