QR Registration No.
1/9/2019 – 31/8/2023
MODE OF STUDY
Full time / Part time
Full time – 2 years
Part time – 3 years
Every September and February
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
English supplemented with Chinese for most of the General Education courses. The specialised courses in Christian Ministry are taught in Chinese supplemented with English to align with the needs of local churches and faith organisations.
Higher Diploma in Christian Ministry Programme (HDCM)
The HDCM Programme aims to:
The objectives of the HDCM Programme are as follows:
- Provide students with a curriculum of basic theological knowledge, biblical knowledge, practical counselling skills, and general education.
- Equip students with the biblical and theological foundations of evangelism.
- Nurture students to become servant leaders to exemplify the C.H.R.I.S.T. (Commitment, Humility, Resilience, Integrity, Service and Teamwork) values.
- Prepare students to practice ministry or serve in various organisations operated with Christian values.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
The Programme Intended Learning Outcomes of the HDCM Programme are classified into two aspects, “To do” and ‘To be”. The former focuses on instruction of knowledge and skills while the latter focuses on developing the character of students. The PILOs are:
Graduates will be able to:
- Articulate a foundation of theological and biblical knowledge and a Christian worldview.
- Outline, interpret, and reflect on biblical scriptures for application to the contemporary context and effective ministry service and teaching.
- Develop the basic skills for working in faith communities, including pastoral care and counselling, for effective ministry leadership and mission.
- Demonstrate the necessary skills of a ministry practitioner in written and oral communication and the critical analysis and evaluation of information and ideas.
- Be adequately prepared to pursue further study in ministry, theology, or biblical studies, or initial employment in churches or organisations operated with Christian principles and values.
Graduates of the Programme will become:
- Knowledgeable persons who integrate the “CHRIST” values and faith.
- Life-long learners who have the expertise and skills to independently and critically gain knowledge related to and beyond their profession.
- Principled individuals who are committed to building a Christ-centered life.
- Servant leaders who apply the principles of the Bible to contribute to the well-being of the world with Christian love, creativity, and a global perspective.
The Year 1 entry requirements of the HDCM Programme are as follows:
- Level 2 in five subjects including Chinese Language and English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination. Up to two Applied Learning subjects may be counted for admission purposes. Non-Chinese speaking students may use alternative qualifications in Chinese Language; OR
- Secondary school graduates from other education systems with results comparable to the above (for non-native speakers of Chinese, academic results in Chinese may not be required); OR
- Successful completion of a foundation diploma, pre-associate degree, or Diploma Yi Jin; OR
- Successful completion of the Diploma in Pre-University Studies Programme offered by Gratia Christian College; OR
- Fall Enrolment: Mature applicants who are aged 21 years or above on September 1st of the year when admission is sought; OR
- Spring Enrolment: Mature applicants who are aged 21 years or above on February 1st of the year when admission is sought; OR
- An equivalent qualification assessed by the College.
- Completed and been assessed on all courses;
- Obtained an overall GPA of 2.0 or above across all courses;
- Obtained a Pass in Practicum;
- Obtained a Grade D or above in all other courses; and
- Completed 20 hours of community service.
- Full-time students are required to attend College Assembly with an attendance rate of not less than 80%.
With a good understanding of human behaviours and Christian values, and good interpersonal and communication skills, graduates of the Higher Diploma in Christian Ministry Programme will be prepared to work in settings like churches, faith communities or NGOs at the para-professional level, such as:
- Church settings: Executive Officer, Assistant to the Pastor, Pastoral Care Officer, Event Management Officer, etc.
- Christian education settings: Project Officer, Executive Officer, Public Relations Assistant, Evangelical / Outreach Officer, etc.
- Human service settings (family service settings, social service settings, funeral service settings (for those who take up electives related to funeral service), etc.)
Further Study Opportunities
- The Programme will equip students with the knowledge, skills, and academic qualifications for further study in Hong Kong, Mainland China and overseas.
- Graduates of the Higher Diploma in Christian Ministry can apply for third year entry to degree courses in Christian Ministry offered by bible seminaries in Hong Kong or overseas.
- English I: Reading and Writing Skills
- Lives of Servant Leaders
- Practical Chinese Writing
- Christian Ministry
- Introduction to Counselling
- Systematic Theology
- Introduction to the New Testament
- 2 Electives
- English II: Integrated English
- 3 Electives
- Servant Leadership
- Introduction to the Old Testament
- 4 Electives
* The above study plan is subject to change.