QR Registration No.
1/9/2017 – 31/8/2020
MODE OF STUDY
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
English supplemented with Chinese, unless otherwise required by specific courses
For details, please refer to Programme Handbook 2017-18.
Diploma in Pre-University Studies Programme
The Diploma in Pre-University Studies Programme is a one-year, full-time foundation diploma programme that aims to provide secondary school graduates with an alternative pathway to continue their studies.
Special Features of the Diploma in Pre-University Studies Programme
- Language learning is emphasized to prepare students for further study
- The use of English supplemented with Chinese as the medium of instruction will prepare students for further study in programmes that are taught in English, including the programmes offered by Gratia Christian College
- The focus of the programme will be on academic learning, so that students will have sufficient preparation for further study in academic programmes
- Credit in the elective courses in the programme can be transferred to Gratia Christian College’s other programmes
The DPUS programme is designed for students who aim to pursue further studies in higher education.
The programme objectives are as follows:
- To develop and prepare students for further studies in higher education;
- To nurture students’ “CHRIST” values and foster engagement in the local and global community; and
- To equip students with a solid foundation of generic skills and general knowledge for use in everyday life and to facilitate life-long learning.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
P1: Establish a solid academic foundation for further studies in tertiary institutions;
P2: Develop their personal character with Christian values and social and interpersonal skills for serving others;
P3: Have a good understanding of the world, of the communities and cultures in which they may live or work, and of current global issues of importance;
P4: Generate ideas through application of the knowledge and analysis of abstract information and concepts;
P5: Apply a wide range of knowledge and specialised creative and conceptual skills in solving individual, group or community problems;
P6: Communicate effectively through writing, presentation or discussion in English and Chinese; and
P7: Use ICT effectively for learning and communication.
- Completion of Secondary 6 under the New Senior Secondary Education Structure with Level 1 in English Language and Chinese Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
- Secondary school graduates from other education systems with academic results comparable to the above with an overall score of 4.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- Mature applicants who are aged 21 or above on the 1st of September in the year when admission is sought.
All applicants must also pass an admission interview.
- completed and been assessed on all 11 courses taken;
- obtained an overall GPA of 2.0 or above across all 8 required courses and the best 2 elective courses in which they were assessed;
- obtained a Grade D or above in all 8 required courses and at least 2 elective courses;
- completed 10 hours of community service; and
- attended College Assembly with an attendance rate not less than 80%.
Further Study Opportunities
- The Diploma in Pre-University Studies Programme will well equip students with the knowledge, skills, and academic basis for further study in Hong Kong, Mainland China and overseas
- Graduates are academically prepared for entry to sub-degree programmes (eligibility subject to individual institutions’ entrance requirements)
Graduates with a GPA of 2.7 or above are eligible for articulation to William Jessup University, a liberal arts college in Sacramento, California, USA (in progress)
- English I: Foundation English (18 QF Credits)
- English II: Foundation English (18 QF Credits)
- English III: Practical English (18 QF Credits)
- Foundation Chinese (1) 基礎中文 (一) (18 QF Credits)
- Foundation Chinese (2) 基礎中文 (二) (18 QF Credits)
- Mathematics and Statistics (13.5 QF Credits)
- Introduction to Critical Thinking (13.5 QF Credits)
- Fundamentals of Business (13.5 QF Credits)
General Education Electives (Choose 3)
- Information Literacy (13.5 QF Credits)
- Introduction to Psychology (13.5 QF Credits)
- Holistic Health (13.5 QF Credits)
- Creative Arts in Daily Life (13.5 QF Credits)
* The above study plan is subject to change.